One of the ATUQ’s key priorities is the continuous funding of public transportation. To this end, the ATUQ has intensified its efforts to ensure that its member organizations benefit from a dedicated, sufficient, indexed and recurrent source of funding on the part of the provincial government, through the implementation of a long-term financial framework. The ATUQ has also added to its list of priorities the fostering of emerging initiatives in order to diversify public transportation funding sources.
What are the current sources of funding for public transportation?
- Quebec government
- Federal government
- Other sources, such as commercial and advertising revenue
Why invest in public transportation?
- To stimulate the Quebec economy, as every dollar invested in public transportation generates more economic benefits in Quebec than the equal amount spent on private transportation by car.
- To maintain and modernize existing infrastructures.
- To expand services provided to citizens.
- To develop public transportation as an attractive alternative to solo driving, because when we invest in public transportation, people generally climb aboard!
- To allow the province of Quebec to tackle the issue of climate change, to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and its dependence on oil.
What measures have been taken by the ATUQ to ensure the continuous funding of public transportation?
- Establishment of government relations to ensure follow-up of funding programs.
- Projection of the transportation organizations’ financial needs.
- Economic impact studies on the transportation organizations in Quebec (2010 and 2014).
- Ongoing approach with respect to government relations, in particular at political meetings, during prebudget consultations and in the course of Public Transportation Awareness Days at the Quebec National Assembly.
- Preparation of briefs.
- Ongoing public relations approach.
- Development of partnerships with organizations sharing common interests.